Thursday, April 30, 2020

Simone's Lockdown Poem

Last week we looked at the poem Still I Rise by Maya Angelou. Simone adapted it to our current situation - what a clever idea!

Lockdown
You may lock me in the house
With your germs doubling in size
You may shut down all the stores
But still, like the sun, I’ll rise.

Just like planes and like clouds,
With the pushing of the sky
Just like trees growing
Still I’ll rise

Did you want to see me anxious?
Trembling, tense, and tired?
Sensing impending danger, 
Sleeping less than required?

You may crush us with your rules,
Staying two metres apart is advised.
You may tell us to wear masks
But still, like bread, I’ll rise.

Leaving behind a confined space
I rise
Unleashed from the confusing cage
I rise
Hanging out with friends again
I’m having fun and now I’m sane
I rise
I rise 
I rise



By Simone Strange

2 comments:

  1. Well done Simone, I really enjoyed reading your poem and liked how you joint it with what is happening now. Great job.

    ReplyDelete